Brush in a Backpack

I am a painter/sculpture, who is in the process of travelling with my family, and painting on the way, for starts we are going to find out where "South" is, with the children navigating. Sounds adventureous, yeah I will be a cool experience and chaotic and fun.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

technology, and gardening

I have found that I have a love/hate relationship with technology. I hate it when it doesn't work but man..... I just love it when it does. I and a reader.....an avid reader. This is a problem in this country especially when the majority of the books are in spanish and Ecuadorians are not like north americans where the book stores are like churches. Reading as recreation is almost laughed at here. So only able to shop in the odd used book stores who cater to the tourists and charge wayyyyyyyyyyy too much for non-worshipable books, it made me sad. However, I found glory and godliness (sorry about the blastphemy but it was meant as a compliment). E-books on line, halleluluh. My favorite for new books is www.booksonboard.com . Unlike Amazon or Barnes and Noble, books on board takes my canadian credit card and puts it to good use. And free on-line books. My happiness. I now have a computer library where I can read to my hearts content. The first night I got my first books, I read 2 that night and was up until 3:00 in the morning. Rob has decided he needs to feel jealous of my electronic friend. Other mens partners have replacements that either breath and have a pulse or vibrate and come in pretty colors, but Rob's replacement........glows.... with words..... You see before this lap top which I am writing you on was actually from Dane. It was his old schoold laptop that I would occassionaly and guiltity would "borrow for a while" but recently he required a new one and with permission from the school, as this computer is old and has had bouts with viruses, has had to go to the computer dr. on occassion, been repaired and given lots of geeky love, is now mine. I finally have my own computer and I feel that I can do whatever I like on it and spend time on it doing things like reading and writing to all of you. It is amazingly freeing. I don't care that my Dell has been around the block a few times, been to places that I would never go (game sites), is as slow as molasses, I love it anyway. And now my little Dell is taking care of my e-books and entertaining me more than ever. I love it. Unless little Dell won't let me go where I want to, but we are working it out, I found that it doesn't understand cursing in english but it does understand when I push the esc button or I pull its plug. As Rob is going back to Canada in less than a week, Rob is finding my time that I spend on my computer a bit of competition, but he figures it is safe because he knows where I will be. I am sooo predictable. However when Rob is gone this is how I will be spending my time, teaching Dane, supervising Ray, painting (as I am behind in that department), exercising and now reading my books, I also hope to be visiting and maybe helping out at a couple of animal refuges.
I have to say though that the last time he (my little Dell) went to the geek store, he had a full overall and I think that they removed my skype and a few other things but thank god they saved my pictures. This is where I get soooooo frustrated. Skype is touchy anyway and doesn't always like to stay connected but I am sure in the future things will become more efficient but here in Ecuador we will see. Anyway, I am not a techy and nor will I ever be, so what I have I love and that is great with me.
And now for something completely different. Gardening, those of you who know me, know that I have a black thumb. Lets face it plants are pretty but thats about it. Most of the ones I like go great with butter and thats about it. Rob, however loves plants and so for him, I love them too. He has just put in the garden with..... lovely plants. I respect that and I promise that I will water and feed them so when he comes home they will still be alive. My concerns about accidentally killing his plants are fewer than they would be in Canada, because of the volcano and these plants will to live, almost all the plants live and you can't kill them. He just tranplanted several of the plants and we thought they were goners,.... really. Just sticks, and low and behold they have ALL come back. Some are struggling but they are doing it. I did choose a couple of plants, 2 in fact. No really. They both smell fantastic, another reason for plants, to smell nice. So hopefully, his plants won't miss him as much as I will and will have the will to live even though I am in charge of their survival. I know where he got those plants from so if I kill them, I might be able to replace them. I wonder if he would notice.
Talk to you all later
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home