Brush in a Backpack

I am a painter/sculpture, who is in the process of travelling with my family, and painting on the way, for starts we are going to find out where "South" is, with the children navigating. Sounds adventureous, yeah I will be a cool experience and chaotic and fun.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Visiting Tungurahua at night

Hi all
Rob, Dane and I went with the "Aunties" last night in a cab to see the volcano. During the day you can only really see the smoke plumes. Last night however, we went to another location on the other side of the crater. At first there was nothing but clouds and just as we were getting tired of seeing the cloudy sky and saying quits, then the sky opened up and there she blew. Okay, I am not normally a fearful person but this had me wondering. We all know that she has been grumbling for a bit now and after a while you just don't notice it any more. But there, at night, there is no thinking any other way than this is a serious volcano snd that it is very active.
There were yellow and orange and red fireworks coming from the top and the bright pudding was spilling over the top and down the sides 1/3 + down the mountain. Wow, I had only ever seen that in movies and documentaries. I thought it was rather fast moving but my friend assured me that normally lava is really slow moving. You do have to know that everyone around was saying it was a calm night and not a very active night at all. She was grumbling a bit and only once or twice did she really give it up. I am in awe as to the power of the earth. Anyone not ever seeing a vocano in action doesn't even really get how the earth is alive and breathing and moving. The action and power of a volcano is amazing. I am again humbled in Ecuador and the vocano Tungurahua, (pronounced "toon ger a goo waaa"). I really feel that we are on the safer side of the volcano. I was told that if we see the red lava on the Banos side of the vocano, that would be a realllllllll eruption. So I am happy we can't see all that action from our house only the occassional red firework spitting. I am told though that they think in the next 4-6 weeks that it is to be expected that she will really show her stuff. We will see, in the mean time I will continue respecting her, and thanking her for taking care of Banos.
Talk with you all soon
Robin, still raw and lightening up!!!! Fitting in the skinny clothes. Next goal to fit in new and pre home school weight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home