Brush in a Backpack

I am a painter/sculpture, who is in the process of travelling with my family, and painting on the way, for starts we are going to find out where "South" is, with the children navigating. Sounds adventureous, yeah I will be a cool experience and chaotic and fun.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

From Ecuador

After a fairly long flight with lay overs we arrived in Quito. In total only about 12 hours of flight time but in real time 2 days. We arrived at night with 3 other planes so there was a bit of a wait to get processed. Took a taxi to our reservation hostel only to find that we had no place to stay. whatever. So our kindly taxi driver found a room after 2 tries and we slept until ten, the kids slept till noon. Rob and I couldn´t wait to explore, I was very worried I didn´t know enough spanish to get through, thank god I was wrong . Between my soso spanish and the locals kindness and alot of laughs we are doing OK.
There are 7 big churches here and we went to the Basilica. It was based on Notre Dame in Paris and took 100 years to build. It is f----ing tall and huge, it is the largest church in all of South America. Rob and the kids went to the bell towers, barf. Too high for me. Let´s just say that we in Canada would never allow people to go that high and without safety stuffs overload like they do here. To get to one bell tower you actually go over the top of the domes on a walkway to get to the other side up a rebar ladder 30-40 feet. They got down safely and I rewarded them all for surviving. There is a huge statue of the Virgin Mary here called panacillo, and she resides on a mountain top`just over a knoll. The archeteque designed a heart shaped window and in the correct spot you see her in the heart shaped window under a cross. For all you mystery followers there on 2 opposite walls there is three circles in triangle design with the all seeing eye in the center. HMMMMM.

1 Comments:

At 7:57 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool!

I was under the impression that you were driving the bus down to Mexico. Flying to Ecuador is such instant gratification! I expect pictures to be posted on this blog... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home