Brush in a Backpack

I am a painter/sculpture, who is in the process of travelling with my family, and painting on the way, for starts we are going to find out where "South" is, with the children navigating. Sounds adventureous, yeah I will be a cool experience and chaotic and fun.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Under the Volcano and happy

Well folks, here we are in a marvelous and tranquil place called Baños. Here the climate is always spring-like. We found a fantastic hostel called Timara. It is run by an elderly ecuadorian fellow Carlos,and Susanne, his daughter and Paul, her british husband.
They have wonderful rooms with baños privado or not, and a cooking area if you want to cook. They have a fun dog called gringa ,with permission, she is quite willing to go on a hike with you or play fetch ... but she might not return the ball, oh well she will still play. Paul also has 3 parrots and a tortoise (he saved from a locals cook out), and a box turtle, there are also fish and flowers and orchids.
The kids got sick again and Paul (the token gringo owner) gave us some information about some meds for internal bugs. Dane saw the Doctor again, wonderful people there too. However if you know what you need, you can go right to the farmacia and buy what you like with or without the doctors approval. The medication is very cheap and works just great. I am thinking I will check out the price for meds for my mom, hers are very expensive. Both kids are taking these meds and it is doing its job. I talked with the co-owner of a gallery (of course) and she asked right away if the kids were using condiments, ie mayonaise or ketchup, she said those little human loving bugs like to live in there too. So if you are traveling remember her.
In Ecuador, it is easy to get off of some of your favorite foods. Since we are used to a certain way, in our stuffy canadian minds; chocolate, coffee and breads are easy to quit here because it just doesn´t taste the same. But you could become addicted to fresh fruits; like mangoes, papaya, coconut, babaco, passion fruit, and if you are on the coast, the fish.
Let´s talk about Baños for a moment. For those who are worried that we are near a semi active volcano, here´s the delio, the volcano stuff goes the other way. Yes, there were people evacuated but in Embato and that area but not here. The volcanic ash went asunder, ambling about but again to Embato. The area is on Yellow alert and has never been a real source of concern. Unfortunately, they have been on the brunt of some bad press and misinformation. Someone even got onto their turismo web site with bad info. So here we are safe and sound and very much in love with Baños which is nestled in much like Banf Alberta without the European flare and Japanese writing everywhere and low cost and lots of fresh and beautiful flowers. In an area normally filled with tourists and we are enjoying the quiet. Bad for businesses though. There are roughly 300 resturants and 150 hostels so you have alot of choices. They also have hot pools maybe we will go tonight. And they have 2 zoo´z Here´s the problem, for those of you who know me, I am a bit of an animal lover and I am sad to say the locals here just don´t get it about loving them. The Zoo ,St. Martin is also called animal prison even on the tourist map and I have talked with Paul about it and although I would love to see the animals, but I would probably try to do a free willy thing and get arrested. I will think about it more later, as to a possible solution. Ponder, ponder. They have more cats, and larger of the animals. Just thinking about it enrages me. The other Zoo is St. Vincent, the competition, nuff said (here´s a little gossip, the owner of St. Martin is the brother of the ministry of Abiente)Hmmmmm. Apparently, St. Vincents have parrots, flowers, monkeys etc. But the setting is better and kinder to the animals. I have yet to get there and when we come back I will have a camera again. Hopefully, one day people here will have true compassion, but it is hard for them to see beyond survival and not look into their future.
For those of you thinking of coming here, our family has found Baños as one of the top areas to visit. The people here are friendly and love to help people who at least try to speak their language. The next area, would have to be the coast. It is just great, love the sea, love the people but watch the juice venders (yikes more bugs), we have differences which we liked better next , but since I am writing their votes don´t count for as much as mine does. Next, would be Quito, then Cuenca and then Vilcabamba. Don´t get me wrong Loja and Vilcabamba were incredible but the choice is hard when you love it all.
I have some sad news though. We will not be able to come back to Ecuador for a total of 6 months (30 days to the months). This is a beurocratic thing and totally unavoidable. This means we will have to come back in almost October. Thats OK too because we will really sit out the winter here, nice and warm, and making lots of friends.
I am also very sad to say that we will be going back to Canada with in a week and I will be leaving a part on my heart here thank god we will be returning though. It will be easier doing taxes and other meanial jobs knowing that we will be returning. Rachelle and Dane have alot of school work to do and I have to paint. When I come back I think I will paint in the park or hang out with other artists when I can find them. And take spanish lessons till I am fluent and not longer dreaming in English.
Oh yeah, I have to go soon as Rachelle and I have hot rock massage shortly ($20) maybe Rob and the kids will go in the gondola and I can go have a massage tommorrow. Maybe in the morning before breakfast Rob and I can go and have a steam/turkish bath. Life is hell here.
God praise the local patron Saint.... Santa Maria de Agua and here miracles of life and love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home