Brush in a Backpack

I am a painter/sculpture, who is in the process of travelling with my family, and painting on the way, for starts we are going to find out where "South" is, with the children navigating. Sounds adventureous, yeah I will be a cool experience and chaotic and fun.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

felling better...mas o menos

Here in Equador when the kids are sick,you sure get alot of advise, but nicely enough I can´t understand most of it because it is not in english. I am beginning to understand the hand gestures more though. The people here are great, and they do remember faces and if you were nice to them or not. Joking, and being able to laugh at yourself is crucial. I often take a moment and step out of my body to see what other people must be seeing and laugh myself silly. I think my facial expressions must be a gas. Speaking of this,,,,, the kids are doing much better, that is Rachelle is, Dane is still a bit of a problem.... His stomach is somewhat better but he is coughing. He is a tough little bugger and only when he says he is in discomfort do you know the real truth. He says he is feeling much better, so we´ll see.
It is officially the rainy season here, and yes it is wet, but it is still warmer than Canada.( Kind of west coast Canada.)
Tomorrow, if all is well, we will go to the coast to get out of the wet a little bit. And into the heat a bit. Remember winter here is wet. So I think it will be still raining quite a bit, but we will see. If we don´t like it we will go higher and into the Valley of Longevity or Cuenca.
We didn´t go to Coatacachi because it was overcast. So we are back in Quito. The hotel said they would take care of our bags and they did. These people are really very honest. Besides, I think if they went through our bags they would have thought we were lower class or something. Remember, I don´t think this is a 3rd world country. You should see how they dress and what they are driving.
Yesterday, Rob and I looked at the news in a local restaurant and their very young president (40 something) was talking and they were discussing caring for the disabled/special needs, their medical and other issues. I think since I have seen it a work, their social system is going to be great. They are not quite up to speed on wheelchair accessibility, but they treat the special needs with huge kindness and awareness, that I have not often seen in first world countries.
I was told this is a very young country, where the people are concerned. The vast majority are young and fairly well educated. I think alot of those my age have been educated out of the country and have seen what they want for their country. It is good. You also see alot of families and young children but you don´t hear unhappy children. For the most part they are happy, well feed and taken care of. Although, I have not seen the really poor parts of town or seen poor schools. On the bus to and from Otavalo their were kids on the bus but not a peep. I was shocked to find out that they were even on the bus. A small mystery.
Ponder it in your own time.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home