Brush in a Backpack

I am a painter/sculpture, who is in the process of travelling with my family, and painting on the way, for starts we are going to find out where "South" is, with the children navigating. Sounds adventureous, yeah I will be a cool experience and chaotic and fun.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Quirky custom

Hi there I hope all is well in your world.
Now that the formalities are done, I would like to provide a little insight in the Ecuadorian society. If you have invited Ecuadorian people over for supper, or a meal or if you have workers and you are providing lunch or a meal, you notice something that they automaticly do. They think of their loved ones..... and provide for them too. In other words, they like to share and do not like things, food or opportunities to go to waste. Therefore, what I have found is you make alot of food, and then make a little more. I do this naturally, because I think that everyone eats like my growing teenagers and food obsessive me. After they finish, they will start packing food in plastic bags or paper napkins for their family. They may also ask if they can have extra "para llavar", meaning take out. The first time I heard this at my house, it was a kid and he asked for a hamburger for the road, after he ate already. I thought this a little odd but felt awkward enough to say sure, and then he loaded up the burger with everything that he could find, peas, steamed vegies, anything that was left over after the meal. I tried not to really put alot of energy into thinking about it. But this occurred again today. We were to provide lunch for the 8 workers who are putting up the cement roof for the "Casita" in the back of the garden. After lunch, they packed up food for their loved ones and anything they would like for later. No kidding. We even had a really nice fellow worker and he explained that his wife would like some lunch too. Trying to look one the bright side and not just foolishly annoyed, at least they were thinking of others and not just themselves. Besides, what can I say....... It is one of the customy, quirky things that happens here.
We also found that when you have bought a house here, everyone thinks that you are some rich, gringo, with lots of cash to burn, and suddenly you are offered other houses for sale. Right now, we have our house and it is a big project to make it the way we want to and our minds are on this house only at this point. It is interesting and as yet I have not gone to see any of the other houses. I am afraid that I might like them too, and our budget and time has definite borders.
I can only handle one project at a time. It is a much better way to do things, in my mind, I don't get distracted and feel accomplished when I look at the finished products. Therefore I like to complete each project I start. I drive my family crazy when I get carried away completing projects. It is the obsessive compulsive in me. This is why I don't have projects left unfinished. It is how I am hard wired. But once again I digress, I guess my OCD does not apply here.
These people really know how to work hard here. They don't mind taking up wheel barrow after wheel barrow of cement and sand up a shaky Bamboo ramp, one floor up, to get this floor made. I think that they will all sleep well tonight.
I have found that various other people complain about the the quirky Ecuadorian ways, I personally think that they don't think about the future very much and that can cause a great many problems later. However, this is the country that I am choosing to live in and if I am to enjoy my life here that means I have to accept certain things. I don't have to judge people either only judge myself and how I do and think things and judge when something is right or not right for me.
The other day, our spanish teacher asked of me to make some pies for him. He knows that I am a soft hearted fool and have trouble saying "no". I asked him why this was needed. As it turns out, the locals were having a bake sale to help raise money for special needs children. As soon as I found this out, I made 4 cakes. Apparently, the locals and turists alike bought out all the baking by noon, and they raised more than they thought they would. Success.
Mario has a neice who is one year old with down's syndrome and has just had her 3 heart operation (weak hearts are a weak spot for downs kids), the last one they had to go to Brazil for. He doesn't have alot of money only is small teachers salary, but he still makes sure he finds a way to help out the people he loves. He and his family are familiar with down's syndrome and he called kids born with down's "living angels", because of their pure hearts. I have to agree, out of all the special children I have worked with, this syndrome is does create living angels, and many countries in the world consider it a blessing to have a down's child/angel in their family. Apparently, Mario and his family think so too.
If I am allowed to generalize here. I just wish alot more people in other countries, would give volunteer time too. like this too. You don't always have to give with money, but time is often the thing that is really needed. In Canada, I contributed to those in need too, but in ways that they could raise more money than just giving money or found homes for for stuff that I knew other people could benifit from.
Please allow me this moment for me to stand on my soap box. I have often found that there are those very selfish,or uneducated, or uninformed people out there who could learn a great deal if they only volunteered their time, a sharing of themselves not money, with a variety of foundations and peoples, or even hospitals. I think if people did this we would see alot more compassion in the world.
This reminds me of the time when the special olympics was on and the 100 meter race started for (I think) the down's kids, the 2 kids in front were neck and neck and it was very exciting, then second place tripped and fell almost at the finish line and the first place stopped and helped the other up, both loosing the opportunity to win. But the roar of the crowd was wonderful and everyone was astounded that this took place with such lack of concern for winning but rather concern for their fellow being. I love this story and wish that the rest of the world would just learn from this, I can have hope can't I.
Thanks for listening to my rant and I hope that you will carry the thought of the heartfelt race with you throughout the day, and let it inspire you to enjoy your day more.
Talk with you all later
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home