Brush in a Backpack

I am a painter/sculpture, who is in the process of travelling with my family, and painting on the way, for starts we are going to find out where "South" is, with the children navigating. Sounds adventureous, yeah I will be a cool experience and chaotic and fun.

Monday, September 01, 2008

getting residency

Hi there all
We are in the process of trying to get the residency papers organized. There is the dealio (and let me tell you it is long and arduous so I will keep it short), the final papers that I need are: my police check of interpol on me (to make sure that I am not a criminal mastermind, good thing they don't look at my blog), and a confirmation paper saying that these birth certificates of the kids are real. Here's what has to happen. The birth certificates have to go to foriegn affairs in Canada and then have to go the Ecuadorian consolate in Canada. It can either happen in Toronto or Vancouver or both. Now to explain this to an Ecuadorian that you just can't ask a family member to hop in the vehicle and drop off the papers in Toronto and later that day or so, toodle off to Vancouver and get the other paper. The idea of the vastness of Canada is inconcievable. So, we have 90 days to get these papers delivered back to us here in Ecuador. Right. I will continue having conversations with god. He has always been a good listener.
We had to go to Quito, to see the abogado/lawer, Dr. Bombon. He is a really nice man, and he asked this question of me, which I thought albeight rather late (since we have already invested in the country by buying a house) still profound. Were you happy in Canada, why are you leaving and the most important one, are you happy? This talk went on for about 5 hours. It lead to theological philosophy, and other grand concepts. I rather enjoyed it but in reality I just wanted my papers done, I have confidence in him that this will take place. I think he just wanted to make sure (being the kind heart that he is) that we were really wanting to do this for the right reasons, and what to expect in terms of life here and all its complexities. I have only every found 1 other lawyer who cared that much and he was in Canada. I am proud to say that I said it in Spanish and only now and again did we struggle. In the struggle to communicate therein lies true compassion for one another.
The day actually started like this, we picked up the birthcertificates at the couriers in Ambato and the I talked with the lawyer with Susanna who helped me on the phone, then we had to rush to get papers here in Banos that were wellllllll, sort of done, if you get my drift, and rush to get to Quito. Unfortunately, the rushing took away some of the fun that went with the adventure of travelling again. We arrived late at night in Quito and went to the International hostel of which they share the same name with at least 4 other hostels (confusing for the taxi drivers), but the one we know and love for its concrete beds and even harder pillows were open and willingly let us in, which is rather reassuring in the dark night in Quito. The next morning, we went off to visit Dr Carlos Bombon abogado/lawyer. Later, we hopped into a taxi and went to the mall, where Dane was in heaven because there was a "Radioshack" not the "Source" there and Rachelle found seemingly endless racks of clothes. The next taxi took us to "Confederate books" where I was in heaven. Being in books stores always gives me warm fuzzies, because my mom would let me go to the book store and buy almost any book I liked and I would read until my eyes went fuzzy and travel through time or space. Soooo, I got to find a few literary adventures and Dane in his glory found an older book on How things work. He has toted that around to all our friends places and had great conversations and is making plans for further inventions. He has found Bobby, who also likes to do this too. He is mentally the same age as Dane(7 - 65 years old) but Chronologically about Robs age. Not that that means anything. I repeat that I am glad that I live in a concrete house, as I am expecting explosions that will match any that the volcano can deliver.
We were extra aware in Quito, because of late, we have heard of travellers having problems with robberies and other assorted, creative crimes. I think that what often happens is that people try to be cheap and take the public transit, it is there where there are more problems. We only ever travel there by taxi, it is way more comfortable and relaxed. The taxi drivers know where they are going , it is relatively inexpensive at the most $5:00 ( I have never paid more than 3, now that I know about the mandatory meters in all taxis) and they make sure you get where you want to be, especially if you are travelling with kids . No one here likes problems for kids. The taxi drivers have always been friendly and when you show that you are trying to learn the language and are living here, out comes the red carpet. I love the people here, everyone says hello in the streets, and if they are friends we are still having fun even though beurocracy is alive and well and reproducing rapidly here.
I must go as one of the workers here is leaving right now, to help his wife get to Ambato to have their baby. I think that we will give a gift of a teddy bear with a little bit of money for the baby. Talk with you all later.
Robin
Find your bliss

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home