Brush in a Backpack

I am a painter/sculpture, who is in the process of travelling with my family, and painting on the way, for starts we are going to find out where "South" is, with the children navigating. Sounds adventureous, yeah I will be a cool experience and chaotic and fun.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Life, the universe and everything

Well, life down here still trundles on. The kids and I are finally falling into a pattern of schooling. This means we are getting work done and quite quickly. I am happy to say that the influence from our Spanish teacher, Mario, is creating steam under Dane. His concentration is wayyyyyy up and interest is too and not in just spanish but other larger questions of life and how it all fits together.
I must say that I am glad that we live in a concrete house and that we are reaping its benifits for security and safety measures, as Dane continues experimenting with electricity. So far, he is only allowed to create using batteries. Thus, he is only able to send off small and controlled amounts of fire power. He does have a fertile and creative mind. The other day quite shocked me. He put in series 6-9volt batteries and alligator clips and a pencil lead from a mechanical pencil and created a metal cutter. He spent the evening showing us he could cut alluminum and tin foil. The lesson on Safety rules also meant he had to use sunglasses until we can get proper eye protection, because shockingly enough the spark was very intense. Again, I am glad for the cement house. He has a soldering gun which he uses quite frequently, but this this little invention was of his own making and requires him to find out how this works. You know, when I was a little girl, it never ever occured to me to stick electricity on the end of a pencil lead. I just wouldn't have gone there. I have to take some of the responcibility here. I think I went a bit too far with him as a child. When he broke a toy and would cry and be sooo sad and I would ask how could he make a new toy out of the pieces or what a great opportunity so see how it works. I just didn't think that wise question would cause so much creativity and pandamonium in the future and such an incredible mess. But who said motherhood would be a clean job anyway. Now, he challenges his mind to say, "how can I change that and make it do something that I want to do," therefore nothing that moves or is electrical is safe from his scutiny. In honesty, it is quite fun to watch and I, myself, am always learning.
Dane ,of course, gravitates to people (as we all do) to who think similarly or as creatively. Therefore he has found a new playmate. This little fellah has interests in electricity and radio's. Fortunately, he also has an education in both areas but happlily he can fully understand what and where Dane is planning as a project. He also feeds further information to spur Dane on and asks the all important question of "why?". Richaard is a retired ex military, scientistish, sailor, pilot and motorcycle enthusiast who travels around with his giant schnauser, Helga. I have noticed that I might have to limit their time together, as I thought I overheard them say something about really shocking the neighbors. Best to nip that little idea in the bud, just in case.
Dane, in the true form of being indigo, is a natural to his gifts to the point of genius and often it seems as if he came to this earth already knowing how certain things work and how certain physic laws work without ever being told. I am told that is also rather Savant too. Either is good, as I love him and his wonderful expanding mind. He has a great heart and has for the most part good intentions. Everyone has their place in this world and all we have to do is help others get there, by guiding them and supporting them. Oh yeah, having huge patience and also the ability to clean up when the mess gets just tooo big for them to handle all alone.
For those of you who are interested in how the house is coming..... well it is. I have to say if this were Canada, WCB would be all over the place. The workers here really do take some risks that set your hair on fire. A couple of times, I saw an accident waiting to happen, and as I know first aid, I just couldn't leave. They seem to have had a birth, a doctor put, in a personal and private place where the sun never shines, a horseshoe. At this moment, we are accident free, and still building. But this Lax safetly attitude is not just at our house but on all jobs that I have ever seen here. Where the US and Canada go overboard on safetly issues, these guys make up for in risks. I mean in driving, plumbing, cooking etc. I am slowly learning to look away and breath slowly and deeply.
Which brings me to a different and yet similar subject of: finding patience. For those of you who know and for those who don't, we are applying for residency here, and this means hiring a lawyer (ours is Dr. Carlos Bombon of Quito) ( his name is great and he is a really nice person, he is named after candy right) and aquiring all the neccessary papers sent to and given to the immigration gods, who by some circumstance of ill-opputunity are personages who are flighty and of the character of changable mind. When you think the paper requirements are established and the rules of the immigration road are sent, it is: on your mark, get set, go ,,,, the paper chase is on. Here in Ecuador, the laws of immigration can change welllllll daily, (as I have said of CHANGABLE MIND). This means resiliance and inner calm are required. Even the greatest of calm minds would be greatly tasked. In fact, it is probably one of the rights of passage for monks and other spiritual adventurists, to come here as their final test of enlightenment from their gurhu. He would say from top of his mountain retreat. "Apply for residency in Ecuador, my child and the trial following will bring you to true enlightenment". (I can feel a new business idea forming.) Add to the mix Canada and her laws and public access to personal documents and you tests of inner strength and power to find personal peace are challenged to the heavenly heights of frustration and denial. .......
Sooooo, we are waiting for these last 2 papers. First, the confirmation that the birth certificates of Rachelle and Dane are in fact birth certificates and not sales receipts. To Quote in cliche of "Survivor", "the First part of the first challenge is set as such": the birth certificate had to go from here back to Canada to Foreign Affairs for confirmation, yes these are birth certificates, then sent to the Consul of Ecuador in Richmond, for translation , these are birth certificates and not sales receipts from Walmart, and rubber stamped and then get paid for bycertified check, by my friend by courier and sent back to the lawyer by courier, whose couriers only go to 2 places in Ecuador, fortunately one of them being to the city of Quito.
The next and really the most difficult, though you wouldn't think so, is the police report. It used to be in Ecuador, that you only needed an interpol check but now you need it from the country of origin. Originally, Canada had it that you could get a police check/report in any RCMP office in Canada.......Well, in the infinite wisdom, ( I always say this when I am looking for an explanation from the powers that be when I don't understand them and how they could possibly function under all that paper and bruhaha) of Canada, there is only one, I repeat, ONE office in Canada where you are ALLOWED to get a police check and it is in Toronto. The Canadian Center of the universe. Rules are: You may only communicate with them by sending in your request by priority post and no other (no monopoly there, eh?). You may not call or e-mail or show up in person, There is no way in which to contact them as there is no number, email or contact person, only a lonely cargo bay delivery drop off. It was to be sent to a cargo bay area. Now that just reaks of a weird FBI or maffia drug sting or deal. But you know, I understand the reasoning for this inability for communication. There is only one office in all of Canada for this service. They must be incredibly stressed in getting that button pushed on the computer printer for all those millions of people. This process may also take in excess of 120 days. No kidding. What the heck? In England, it has to be done in 30 days and if you have a passport it is automaticly done for the safe passage of all and since criminal checks have already been done there is no need to do one in any other border. I thought that Canada was part of the common wealth and with 911 that we would do the same to make traveling to the US easy. Sorry, I will shut my mouth as it might give the government an idea and make getting a passport even harder to get than it already is. I have never had such a feeling of rejection , or a need for a follow up visit to a group therapy self esteem class, as I do when I apply for a passport in the passport office. Boy oh boy, they are the SS of legal officers and do they take their jobs seriously. If you ever sign out of the little bitty box or smile on you photo in anticipation of you once in a lifetime trip you are in deep do do, my friend (fortunately, I am dylexic and one of the few people who can ask for help and for them to fill in the paper because of my disability, true story, its in the legislation)
At one point last week, I thought we would have to leave the country because our visa was running out with only 70 day left, and having to wait the 120 days of gettting the police report , well, Yikes. We found out differently. Thank god. But we were thinking if we had to leave we would have gone to Columbia or Peru or Uruguay. All of which would have been just as good if not better and we could see way more and had a huge history lesson. We might just have to do it anyway. Sooooo, needless to say I am waiting in the purgatory of residency, waiting for one, just one paper to make things complete (the police report). It is a sad little wait really, because at this point I am only guilty of committing traffic violations, which are committed with the regularity of breathing here. One friend of mine down here said that in this time of purgatory, I might be able to commit some crimes back in Canada and never be caught, but I would only ever consider this if it would involve a great deal of poking fun and a guarantee of getting away with it. Maybe they will consider this writing of this posting illegal and possible risking the safety of the country and I will be having it on my police record, on that note I will finish my posting for risk of my police record taking longer............
Talk with you all later
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home