Brush in a Backpack

I am a painter/sculpture, who is in the process of travelling with my family, and painting on the way, for starts we are going to find out where "South" is, with the children navigating. Sounds adventureous, yeah I will be a cool experience and chaotic and fun.

Friday, October 17, 2008

If you could do something..... would you?

If you could do something........would you?
Well, this is a very profound question, isn't it. I have always said that if I needed to, I would if I could, but not with money, with my time. In fact, I always have given my time if needed. Sooooo, the proof is in the pudding on helping out here. We were asked by the foundation,"Arte Del Mundo", to help do an art class with kids at the foundation. We decided (Rachelle, Dane and I) that we would do salt dough clay. Low and behold a ton of kids showed up and we had a great time. We had help with Ray from the local restuarant,"Casa Hood". His wife joined in too then another teacher Jessie and then other adults too. Ray started off doing timed challenges of creating figures, and I have never seen so many interpretations of volcanoes, and houses, and other stuffs. It was alot of fun and we were glad that we had made alot of different colors and alot of clay. The kids were so excited they took a bunch home too. I mean really, what were we going to do with all that clay.
When we finished that day we were all tired.
Soooo, the next day, I was talking with our spanish teacher, Mario Aman ( director of a local public school) about our experience at the foundation. Wellllll, within seconds I volunteered us to doing an art class for his class in his school ...... of get this 38- 9 year olds.
So today, we did the class.
We started creating allllll that dough/clay for 38 students in the morning. We created 7 colors. The red food coloring was sad so we created more color, Rachelles suggestion, by grating beets for a fabulous color. We worked like buggers to get it ready. There was flour flying, color all over us and the kitchen. Rachelle felt that she wouldn't have to work out for a week, beating up all that dough. I think we let out alot of frustrations.
Mario asked us to be there at 10:30, so we showed up just in time with heaving all that heavy clay. We met Mario at the gate of the school. He introduced us to several people and then we were given a tour by what seemed like a hundred little people anxious to hold our hands and show their wonderful school. It was like what you see in the movies. You know, when the tourists come to town. It was soooo nice and the kids were sooooo sweet. Dane ended up playing in the woods with the kids. In the woods the kids had made forts and such for play time. Rachelle and I were guided all around. Sometimes there were 5 kids holding on one hand and another 5 on the other.
Fortunately, we were gathered and brought safely to the class for the beginning of the art class. Again, we were glad that we had made lots of clay and played the timed games.
It was like we had brought them gold. Rachelle was overwhelmed with the number of kids and their loud enthusiasm. But Dane and I loved it. (Rachelle had decided that day that she would try to start fasting and was kind of cranky. We have found another way to prepare her if she wants to do this in the future.) We were with the kids for about 2 hours. Again, some of the kids took a bunch of clay home so that they could create more. They certainly had enough left over so they can do a to class on Monday or so. It was great to be offering it for the kids and it was so easy to be generous. But what was more important was that it was the time and the energy that we gave not just the stuff. We really had to work to communicate with the kids and stretch our spanish. The kids were very patient and with a healthy dose of humor we made it through the class. I think that we will go again and help with class. I think that we might also help the school with English lessons too. We will see what the future brings. After this experience, it would be a shame not to help if we were asked.
After, we went for lunch and just sat around with Richaard (our very dear friend) and recapped the event. Dane wants to go back and play with the kids in the woods and play tag. The kids can be so loving and really appreciate the time that you spend. It was a great way to spend the day and although we didn't do school, the experience of being with these kids attempting more language and just plain giving was great.
The other day, Rob ( my partner in life and raising the kids who is now in Canada working of ONE MORE month), told me that one of his fellow workers is sick with cancer. I often think that people in "the first world"countries live to work, and then they die. They usually do it to themselves by having a sole purpose and only that purpose with no diversion of their path of percieve prosperity. I find this very sad as there is sooooo much more to living and prosperity. Giving and receiving and living going hand it hand. But the purpose of life is not just to work but to live and help make the world a better place. We, my family and I believe that this means enjoying life in many ways. I want for my children to realize that there is so much to being a human. How the man combating his sickness and our day out relate is: that life has so much to being. Working is just one aspect of being, it can contribute, but purpose is often not linked with "work", sometimes it is. I love life and I love that there is so much to it. We can help ourselves and then in turn we can help others too. I hope I have explained this concept as clearly as I want to.
I hope that if you have the time to think about the sentence. "If you could do something.... would you? It will make you think twice. And not just about spending money to make someone feel better, but give them the more valuable thing....... time.
Talk with you all later
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home